Sunday, October 23, 2011

"These Days"

The other day, I was listening to Glen Campbell's Greatest Hits CD, which both Alex and I like. While he and I share a love of country music, our reasons for enjoying this CD are probably different. For me, listening to Glen Campbell is nostalgic because I remember several of his hit songs from when I was a little girl in the late 1960's. I suspect that Alex appreciates Glen Campbell's songs because several have geographic references, such as "Wichita Lineman," "Galveston," and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," and he probably pictures in his mind these places on a map. My favorite song on the CD, however, is one Glen Campbell more recently recorded, a cover of Jackson Browne's song "These Days." [Click here to watch the video of this song.] Besides the pleasant melody and beautiful arrangement, I find the lyrics appealing in their simplicity. In listening to the song again the other day, I realized that some of the lines apply to Alex, which makes the song even more meaningful to me.


"I've been out walking. I don't do too much talking these days. These days."


"I'll keep on moving. I'm bound to be improving these days. These days."


"And if I seem to be afraid to live the life that I have made and sown, it's just that I've been healing so long."

As we watch the leaves change colors, we also watch for changes in Alex and keep praying that his healing will soon be complete.

"The Lord is my strength and my song; He has given me victory." Psalm 118:14

No comments: