Sunday, July 2, 2017

What a Difference a Week Makes!

 
After weeks of waiting for Alex to recover from the ill effects of thrush and essentially waiting for our anticipated relaxing summer to begin, we had breakthroughs this week. Our prayers were being answered, and we were reminded that God puts people in our lives so that we can support each other.

On Monday, the office of the nurse practitioner who prescribes Alex’s medications for anxiety returned my call after three weeks of waiting to hear from her. Her receptionist told me that his lithium level was a little higher than normal and that we should reduce his bedtime dose. In addition, the nurse practitioner wanted us to have his lithium level tested in a month, and she can see him in a few weeks, instead of waiting until the middle of September, as we’d originally been told. Although we already knew the level was too high, had reduced the dosage three weeks ago, and had retested the level and found it thankfully back in normal range, I was glad that her professional assessment was the same as my mother’s instinct. Moreover, I’m pleased that we don’t have to wait as long to see her as we had previously thought.

On Tuesday, I found out that one of my closest friends, who has an adult son with disabilities, will soon receive the Medicaid waiver providing services for him after a long wait. As I explained to her, this is like winning the lottery for parents of children with disabilities because we can finally get the support we need for our kids. I think she’s a little skeptical, but I pray that her son will qualify for services that will not only make his life easier but also his parents’ life, too.

On Wednesday, I chatted with my neighbors who also have a son on the autism spectrum. Even though their son is higher functioning than Alex, we share the same worries about how our sons will cope in the adult world, especially if we’re not right there to help them. They also told me that our new neighbors, whom they have met but I have not yet, have a child with autism. How mind-boggling it is that three families within a few houses of each other are dealing with autism! Of course, some experts would simply attribute this “coincidence” to better diagnosis, rather than an autism epidemic.

On Thursday, Alex had his best music therapy session in a month. Instead of acting lethargic and irritable, he was engaged and good-natured––a positive sign that he’s finally feeling better. He even requested two new songs: “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” and “Go, Cubs, Go,” a sure sign that he’s been watching a lot of Chicago Cubs baseball games on television this summer.

On Friday, Alex showed that he’s feeling better by requesting to go hiking. Apparently, his energy levels are returning because he did a great job walking the trails at a nearby wildlife preserve, despite the mid-eighty-degree heat. In addition, we have noticed that his appetite seems to be returning, as the variety and amount of food he’s eating has increased. Along with the physical improvements that indicate healing, his mind is sharper, as evidenced by improved speech in his comments, questions, and answers. Thankfully, the brain fog that accompanies thrush appears to have vanished, and Alex is doing so much better.

Yesterday, we took him to his cousin’s graduation open house, and he did remarkably well, despite all the people and activity there. He was pleasant and even did a good job of speaking to people. In contrast, the previous week at this other cousin’s graduation open house, he was anxious and overwhelmed, and we wound up not staying very long. However, a positive experience there made a lasting impression. My sister-in-law’s sister is very sweet to Alex, and she made a special point to come talk to him at the open house. Her kindness did not go unnoticed because Alex has added her to his nightly prayer list this week. As I have said before, I have to think that God hears the earnest prayers of my son, who appreciates those who are kind to him.

Although I found the month of June frustrating, waiting for Alex to get better, God answered our prayers for healing. As a new month begins, we have hope that Alex will continue to improve so that we can enjoy the relaxing summer I had envisioned. Although I don’t know what our plans will entail, I do know that I will be grateful that Alex is feeling better so that he can live life to the fullest. As Alex frequently reminds us, “Wait and see!”

“Lord my God, I called to You for help, and You healed me.” Psalm 30:2

No comments: